Time to turn the corner – and I need your help!

It’s been a bit negative of late, hasn’t it? The poems, the lack of progress with my treatment. You can only write about what you know and at the minute it’s a bit of a sh*t sandwich but even the bread is mouldy.

I started this blog to raise awareness, be positive and show what can be achieved despite disabilities but I’m not inspiring anyone at the moment – time for that to change!

I work best when I have a goal, something to work towards and for 2020 I have nothing to aim at so I need your help and suggestions so that I can put something in place and start focusing on the positive again; get my fight back. In 2019 I rode RideLondon 100 for Cancer Research UK, in 2017 the Great North Run half marathon for Arthritis Research UK, in the 2015 Run Norwich for Nelson Journey etc. I’ve probably bored everyone to death with fundraising in recent years, however, so another charity effort is probably not a good idea – therefore, it needs to be a challenge for me, a personal accomplishment.

Running is out of the question now, although I’m hopeful I can cycle again when the weather warms up, walking is certainly doable whilst still being a hell of a challenge given the discomfort I’m in. I’ve been toying with the idea of walking the coast or circumference of my home county of Norfolk, or perhaps a rowing machine challenge, something low impact but significant.

Let me know your ideas but I’ll say now, nothing to do with heights, jumping out of planes etc. Firstly, it needs to be a physical challenge to show what the disabled body can do (like cycling 100 miles in one day like I did last year) and I’ve been through enough, without putting me through my ultimate fear! πŸ˜‰

I look forward to your ideas.

6 Comments Add yours

1. Purple Bex says:

Hi
    You’re asking for ideas and suggestions for a goal or project… My mind has gone blank for suggestions but I’d really like to say thanks for writing this.

What ideas have you had?

1. Joel says:

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really is appreciated. A walking challenge seems like my obvious option at the moment, however, I have developed a limp the last few days so I need to check that settles down before I commit to anything.

1. Purple Bex says:

Absolutely, see what the limp does. Seems to me you’re the kind of determined person who will find a way of some sort πŸ™‚

How about an incremental type of challenge? Where you walk a long distance path, a little bit at a time or just a total distance.

I recently pondered the practicality of gradually trying to walk / run / visit every road in my city!

2. Joel says:

I live in Norfolk, UK (apologies if not familiar) and the one that keeps coming to mind is either walking the length coastline or combining the coastal walk with the Pedders Way. I worked out a few years ago that I could do it in a week with someone dropping me off each day where I left off. It would take some planning though. Your idea is a great one!

3. Purple Bex says:

I’m Norfolk too!! But shhhh I don’t like to identify specifics too much, I like the veil of privacy!!
        I’ve heard the coast path is lovely, peddars way is cool too, but there’s something extra about walking by the sea.

4. Joel says:

Really!?! Wow, that’s crazy! Thanks again for stopping by, I really appreciate it. 😊